Form I-864 questions, part 6, box 5

Asked 9 months ago - Alexandria, VA

On form I-864 part 6, number 5, my current individual annual income is $3500 for January and February 2014 (doesn't meet the poverty guide line). In 2013 I made $32000. What amount should I put in the box 5 part 6?
I work as a waiter so my income fluctuates.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You give your projected yearly income, your pay stubs evidencing that you are getting it and 2013 taxes and W-2. If we had to just put the monthly income, very few people would qualify.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.
  2. Husna F. Alikhan

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should put your 2013 income with paystubs /2013 tax transcripts /2013 W2s attached to the affidavit.

    Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your... more
  3. Andrew T. Brooks


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . It's your best guess as to what your annual income will be, not what you have currently made so far this year.

  4. Gunda Johanna Brost


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your question shows why having an immigration attorney do these types of forms is a good idea. :) If you have not already filed your 2013 taxes/received your tax returns, write the estimate of your annual income for 2013, rather than the actual income for the few months you have been actually paid. If that amount does not meet the guidelines, you will need a co-sponsor.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be... more
  5. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You'll need to base your income on your last filed tax return. You should file your 2013 tax return before filing the I-864 application unless you earned enough in 2012. Disclosing your 2013 W-2 wages with the 2012 tax return/transcript can confuse USCIS and the National Visa Center. It can trigger what is called a "kickback letter." Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,362 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,362 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering