Skip to main content

Form I-864 - Income Tax Return

Houston, TX |

I am sponsoring my spouse for green card

Now in the for the form I-864, it says "You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return"..

So can I just send a photocopy of the Form 1040 that I filed with IRS
or do I need to order a seperate transcript of my tax returns from IRS?

I would really appreciate help.
Thank You

Attorney Answers 2


It depends upon the source of income. If you earnonly W-2 income, photocopy of the 1040s would be fine but if you are self-employed or have interest and dividend income and such and your taxes are complicated then you should provide IRS transcript.

Mark as helpful


You can just send a photocopy of the form 1040 but make sure that the said tax return is signed and you send the complete tax return with all schedules, all W-2's, and 1099's.

Mark as helpful

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics