Forgery of Signature

Asked 11 months ago - Chicago, IL

My ex-wife had a car accident and later received a refund/reimbursement check from the car insurance during the period which both my wife and I were still the policy holders to this car insurance. However, my wife did not let me know anything about this check that she received. Furthermore, she went on to sign my own name and her name in the back of this check and deposited directly into her bank account. I found out much later -- can I sue her in civil court for forgery of my signature?

Thank you.

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

11

Answered . Definitely it's forgery. How much money is this and is it worth suing for it. I'm hoping this is related to a divorce!

Probably should contact your divorce lawyer.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

9

Answered . Forgery of Signature as you describe is criminal conduct. Report immediately to the police now that you have found out.

A civil action can be started, and the police investigation can be quite helpful here.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

10

Answered . Yes you can. And more importantly, the police can do a lot of your investigation for you if you just call them!!

Pro

7

Answered . Call your divorce lawyer

5. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

5

Answered . It really sounds like a matter that will be dealt with in Divorce court. Good Luck!