Skip to main content

Foreing income:

Newark, NJ |

I worked for dominican republic govertment in the united nations and i get foreing income for that country, what IRS form can i use to report my foreing income, if so that would help me to get my social security credits to obtain my USA future retirement benefits?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Certain facts are missing so based on the information you provided the answer is very general. Self-employed or employees of the UN have an office exclusively dedicated to provide with information on tax issues: the UN Income Tax Unit. Please visit the UN website for more information. You will certainly find personnel at the UN ready to point out you in the right direction. The IRS is always you reference point because as a general rule you have to pay taxes in the US.
    If you obtained income from the government of the DR two things can happen: (1) If you are a US citizen and you fill out the tax return as an individual you can fill out form 1040 and pay taxes here. (2) If you are a national of the DR and you are paying currently taxes in the DR you may obtain under certain circumstances a tax credit. Unfortunately, the US and the DR do not have in place a bilateral Tax Treaty. I would strongly suggest to consult an international attorney and CPA. Good luck.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

  2. You will need to talk to a CPA or tax attorney.

    Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --

  3. Mr. Melchionna gives a great answer. There are other aspects "missing" from your facts, like how you intend to obtain permanent residence in the US as a foreign national who is working for an international organization. That alone, when you retire, will not be the basis for a visa.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  4. Contact:

    The Income Tax Unit of the United Nations is located in FF-300 (3rd Floor, 304 East 45th Street, New York, NY 10017).
    +1 (212) 963-2949

    +1 (917) 367-1997


    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.

International law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics