Foreing income:

Asked almost 2 years ago - Newark, NJ

I worked for dominican republic govertment in the united nations and i get foreing income for that country, what IRS form can i use to report my foreing income, if so that would help me to get my social security credits to obtain my USA future retirement benefits?

1. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

6

Best Answer

Answered . Certain facts are missing so based on the information you provided the answer is very general. Self-employed or employees of the UN have an office exclusively dedicated to provide with information on tax issues: the UN Income Tax Unit. Please visit the UN website for more information. You will certainly find personnel at the UN ready to point out you in the right direction. The IRS is always you reference point because as a general rule you have to pay taxes in the US.
    If you obtained income from the government of the DR two things can happen: (1) If you are a US citizen and you fill out the tax return as an individual you can fill out form 1040 and pay taxes here. (2) If you are a national of the DR and you are paying currently taxes in the DR you may obtain under certain circumstances a tax credit. Unfortunately, the US and the DR do not have in place a bilateral Tax Treaty. I would strongly suggest to consult an international attorney and CPA. Good luck.

2. Michael Charles Doland

4

1

Answered . Mr. Melchionna gives a great answer. There are other aspects "missing" from your facts, like how you intend to obtain permanent residence in the US as a foreign national who is working for an international organization. That alone, when you retire, will not be the basis for a visa.

3. Raphael Samuel Moore

3

1

Answered . You will need to talk to a CPA or tax attorney.

4. Jonathan H Levy

1

1

Answered . Contact:

The Income Tax Unit of the United Nations is located in FF-300 (3rd Floor, 304 East 45th Street, New York, NY 10017).
    Voice:
    +1 (212) 963-2949

Fax:
    +1 (917) 367-1997

Email:

tax@un.org

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.