Foreign real property taxation

Asked over 1 year ago - Loma Linda, CA

Both my wife and I bought a new home in Lima Linda . Our agent has done our title deed as Community Property with the Rights of Survivorship . Question is that what type of IRS form we need as we are foreigners ( Singapore and Singapore PR holding Indonesian Passport ) . Do we need to file two separate individual IRS form for taxation ? Will it be double taxation and how much will it be ?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Not an immigration question.

2. Bruce Givner

Pro

2

Answered . The two of you can file a single 1040NR to report your income and expenses. There is no special report to the IRS just due to the fact that you bought real property. I do not know if you will also be taxed in Singapore on the U.S. rent; there is no income tax treaty between our two countries. You need to discuss that with your tax advisor in Singapore.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . As a general rule, purchasing and owning real property does not require you to file any IRS forms.

If you have a mortgage, you will be issued a 1099 by your lender for interest paid on the mortgage, which you would then report on your form 1040 when filing for US income taxes.