Foreign Passport with no Visa "stamp", can you still use it to travel within the United States?

Asked 6 months ago - Staten Island, NY

My mother will be going to our national consulate in NYC to get a new passport. However In the United States she doesn't have legal residency. I have heard many family members that say they've traveled this way for a long time without being hassled, is there any truth to this?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes, there is a lot of "truth" in what you heard. The TSA, in it's ever infinite wisdom, while seeing foreign passports in its "security" lines by the hundreds,, shift after shift, day after day, has no clue as to what a "visa" is and never, to my knowledge looking to see whether a foreign national has a US "stamp" (or any "stamp"), let alone "proof of residency" (wouldn't know what that means even if you explained it half a dozen times..) in one's passport.

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . No one ever checks your passport when travelling from state to state. Passports are for travelling from country to country.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Although my colleague is correct, passports are for international travel, if that is her only form of ID ... someone at TSA may 'flag' her.

Probably not, but it is possible..

Why not meet with an immigration lawyer (many of us use Skype) and see if you can get your mother legal?

4. L. Vincent Ramunno

1

Answered . interesting question, you could ask a local attorney, or see what the passport or department of state website says