Foreign Divorce Recognition Procedure

I got married in Las Vegas NV, transcripted the marriage in Algeria and divorced in Algeria. As I understood from previous questions, a foreign divorce is recognized in the US, but what is the procedure? Who should I forward the documents to? What document should I send?

Las Vegas, NV -

Attorney Answers (3)

Jill K. Whitbeck

Jill K. Whitbeck

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Reno, NV

There is no procedure. The US does not have a central repository of marriage or divorce records. Rather they are maintained at a state (or lower) level. As such, you would only need to "prove" your Algerian divorce in the US if you were asked to do so as part of a federal process here.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A... more
Jonathan H Levy

Jonathan H Levy

International Law Attorney - Washington, DC

However, a lot might depend where that former wife is now and if she recognizes the divorce. If the divorce was done without one or both of the parties that could be a problem if the other party does not recognize the divorce and is in the US.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society. International Law 24/7 hotline +1-202-318-2406 - Dr.... more
J. Richard Kulerski

J. Richard Kulerski

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Oak Brook, IL

I think your best bet is to consult with a knowledgeable attorney in person. Your question involves special expertise.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Featured Legal Guides

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Featured Legal Guides

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

by Avvo Staff

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.