Foreign Divorce Recognition Procedure

I got married in Las Vegas NV, transcripted the marriage in Algeria and divorced in Algeria. As I understood from previous questions, a foreign divorce is recognized in the US, but what is the procedure? Who should I forward the documents to? What document should I send?

Las Vegas, NV -

Jill K. Whitbeck

Jill K. Whitbeck

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Reno, NV

There is no procedure. The US does not have a central repository of marriage or divorce records. Rather they are maintained at a state (or lower) level. As such, you would only need to "prove" your Algerian divorce in the US if you were asked to do so as part of a federal process here.

Jonathan H Levy

Jonathan H Levy

International Law Attorney - Washington, DC

However, a lot might depend where that former wife is now and if she recognizes the divorce. If the divorce was done without one or both of the parties that could be a problem if the other party does not recognize the divorce and is in the US.

J. Richard Kulerski

J. Richard Kulerski

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Oak Brook, IL

I think your best bet is to consult with a knowledgeable attorney in person. Your question involves special expertise.