Foreign Divorce Recognition Procedure

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I got married in Las Vegas NV, transcripted the marriage in Algeria and divorced in Algeria. As I understood from previous questions, a foreign divorce is recognized in the US, but what is the procedure?
Who should I forward the documents to?
What document should I send?

1. Jill K. Whitbeck

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no procedure. The US does not have a central repository of marriage or divorce records. Rather they are maintained at a state (or lower) level. As such, you would only need to "prove" your Algerian divorce in the US if you were asked to do so as part of a federal process here.

2. Jonathan H Levy

Answered . However, a lot might depend where that former wife is now and if she recognizes the divorce. If the divorce was done without one or both of the parties that could be a problem if the other party does not recognize the divorce and is in the US.

3. J. Richard Kulerski

Answered . I think your best bet is to consult with a knowledgeable attorney in person. Your question involves special expertise.