Foreclosure in Bankruptcy

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Hello,
I won a property at the foreclosure auction and a month after the sale I called inquirying about the Certificate of Title and I was advised ther will be NO title issued because the owner had filed for bankruptcy.

I have never faced this situation before. What happens next? What must I do?
Will I still be able to take posession of the house at one point? If not, will it be possible to recover the money?

Thanks for your help,

1. Harrison Wesley Poole

6

Answered . You should definitely hire an attorney in your area that is familiar with real estate and bankruptcy proceedings. It will be money well spent.

There is no easy answer to your question without knowing a lot more information. It depends on what type of bankruptcy filing, when it was initiated, how the property was titled, etc. Please consult with a local attorney experienced in this area.

2. Margery Ellen Golant

Pro

5

1

Answered . You need to consult an attorney. Depending on when the bankruptcy was filed, the sale may or may not be valid. Something needs to be done to sort out what rights you do or not have and what to do about that outcome. If the sale was void due to the stay, you should be entitled to a refund. If the sale was not void, the ball is in your court to move to resolve the issues.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

7

Answered . If the bankruptcy was filed one minute before the foreclosure sale, the sale to you is invalid and you purchased nothing. Better check into getting your money back. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Jeffrey David Solomon

5

Answered . You can retain an attorney to file a Motion for Relief from Automatic Stay in the bankruptcy court to complete the foreclosure. There might be other issues if the debtor filed a chapter 13 attempting to save the property, though you could probably prevail on the basis that the debtor has no right to a chapter 13 payment plan to save the property by filing after the foreclosure sale.

5. Thomas Fred Meyer

5

Answered . A bankruptcy filing imposes an immediate stay to all proceeding against the owner, which may include completing the foreclosure sale and issuing the certificate of title you are looking for. You might be able to seek a return of whatever monies you paid to acquire the property or you might eventually be able complete the sale. You are best advised to retain a lawyer to review all the facts and protect whatever interests you now have from the foreclosure auction and if necessary, to file the appropriate papers to protect such claims in the owner's bankruptcy.

6. Rex Edward Russo

Pro

5

Answered . If you can afford to be a wheeler-dealer by bidding on foreclosure sales, then you cannot afford to be without the advice of an attorney in situations like these. In fact, the very fact that you don't know what to do with this situation tells me you really should NOT be making offers at foreclosure sales. There are many pitfalls to foreclosure sales. You could lose a lot of money and a lot of time. You may have fallen into one. However, most likely the bankruptcy petition, which is filed electronically, was filed very close to the time before the sale price was struck, and with to little time to notice the Clerk of the Court. The sale certificate is then a nullity.

7. Michael Avanesian

Pro

4

Answered . Depending on the type of bk that was filed, you may be able to acquire this property for even cheaper than at the auction.

You should get an attorney familliar with this stuff to see what they can do to get you the property.