Forced into resignation, eligible to receive unemployment compensation benefits?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

My employer let me know that they felt that I was not the right fit for my job (just shy of my 3rd anniversary with the company, satisfactory preformance reviews, preformance based raises and 2 promotions later) and advised me that I would be terminated because they felt I was not happy (very untrue), and did not do a good job; my options were to resign my position, or be terminated. I provided them with my resgination (much to the 'surprise' of the manager who made it clear of his intentions to terminate me) and was told that there was no need or want for me to work the duration of time outlined in my (forced) resignation (I believe they had every intention of terminating me that afternoon, regardless of their intimidation tactics or my resignation). Am I eligible to recieve unemployment?

To clarify: I turned in my resignation to avoid termination being listed on my resume - I am now being told that I should have just let myself be fired? Is this the case? My savings account is dwindling, bills are falling behind, and despite numerous attempts daily at landing a new job I have not yet been successful. I just want to know it will be a waste of my time to apply for UCB's or it there is a chance I might be eligible to receive these (I was told that I am not eligible because I separated from the company - however, I was strong armed into the decision and would not have separated with them voluntarily had I not been promised termination - I was also not on any disciplinary steps at the time of this situation transpiring.)

You are eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit for good cause attributable to your employer. If the benefits are denied, you appeal and a determination is made via a telephonic arbitration. The best thing to do is apply for the benefits. This can be done online here:
Good luck

You should absolutely apply for the benefits. Based on what you said about being told to stop coming in to work before the effective date of your resignation, you should read Porter v. UAC (link below). I would also suggest that you read the guide I wrote (link below) to get a better understanding of entitlement to benefits in the U/C system. If you wind up having to go to a hearing, I would also suggest that you hire an attorney to represent you, because undoing mistakes by appeal is very difficult.

Recommended articles about Employment