For years I suffered physical and verbal abuse by my estranged husband.

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

Recently I moved out of our home because he would not leaved after I'd asked for a divorce. I purchased the home before we were married. When I left the home, to avoid any more abuse, he changed all of the locks on the doors in the home to prevent me from returning to cook for our 11 year old daughter, who he refused to allow to leave with me.I lost my job as a NYC Bus Operator, because of an assault that caused me to be arrested when he jumped into the driver's side of my vehicle and punched and bit my face.The child care business that I helped operate from our home was closed down due to the volatile behavior he exhibited during our break up. I do not have the funds to seek an attorney and am searching for a pro bono divorce attorney to assist me in this traumatic and difficult situation

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Try the local law school legal clinics.

2. Ralph Duthely

3

Answered . There is an organization called inMotion, located in the Bronx, that provides free legal services in cases like yours. Their contact info and website are:

inMotion
    2432 Grand Concourse, Suite 506
    Bronx, NY 10458
    (718) 562-8181
    http://www.inmotiononline.org

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

2

Answered . There are numerous women's law firms in the city. Google "free domestic violence law firm" and you'll get them. They'll break all the rules and get results.

4. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

1

Answered . If there is still equity value in the home, you may not qualify for a "pro bono" attorney because you have assets. Another option you have is to retain an attorney & then have the attorney file a counsel fee motion (assuming your husband makes decent income) - thus asking your husband to reimburse part or all of the fees your attorney would otherwise charge to you. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a Bronx Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  5. Lee Alan Thompson

1

Answered . Start here by clicking some links. http://www.lasmny.org/Links.shtm