For the year 2011 I received a 1099-G form showing an amount of $134. Do I need to file an income tax return on this amount?

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

In the year 2011 I was not in the US. So, the 134$ shown on the 1099-G form was my only US-based income for 2011. As far as I know, normally I do not need to file a return for such a small amount of income. But, in the year 2011 I worked in my own country. My question is, would that change anything? In other words, should I also include my non-US income for the year 2011 when deciding whether to file or not? Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . US Citizens are required to file tax returns based on their world-wide earnings. There are usually deductions that prevent double taxation but the requirement to report still exists. Non-US Citizens who do not live in the US are not under the same obligation. From what you're describing (and assuming you're not a US Citizen) you should not need to file for 2011. However, if any of these assumptions are inaccurate or there are other facts to consider, the answer may be different.

    And from a practical standpoint, the amount of US income is very small so it would probably not make sense to file anyway unless there were other credits or benefits to you to do so.

    Hope that helps.

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The... more
  2. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Nielsen has given you a scholarly and thoughtful response.

  3. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are a non-US citizen, the facts you present do not indicate that a return in the US would be required. It would not be a bad idea for you to go over all the facts of your situation with a tax attorney.

    H. Daniel Lively, Esq., LL.M., CPA Certified Tax Specialist, CA Board of Legal Specialization dlively@... more

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,256 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,256 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering