For the E-2 investor visa, can an investor be the source of funds and get 50% of the business?

Santa Barbara, CA |

I would like to know if immigration would see a problem if an investor would lend me 50% of the capital and invest its own 50% in a new or existing business so I could apply for the E-2 visa. Thank you

1. A loan will not be enough unless you secure it with your personal assets. He would have to give up control of the funds, e.g. gift them to you in order to qualify for an investment.

2. A loan does not qualify you for an E-2 investor visa.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.