Skip to main content

For taxes purposes. My parents are dependents. What is the process to claim them? birth certificates & passports For ITNs?

Orland Park, IL |
Filed under: Tax law

They live in Mexico. I'm Naturalized American Citizen. When I travel I take money or when my family members come to the US I send money with them. I wàs told I have to prove my parents income and that I provide them at least with half of what they receive from pension, or other sources

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If your parents do not live in your household, you might not be able to claim them as dependents. Bringing them money could be considered gifts, not support. You need to discuss the details of your situation with a tax specialist.


It may be possible to claim them as dependents but you should contact a tax accountant as soon as possible to determine if and how you may do so. If you would like a referral to one that handles this type of work please feel free to contact me and I can steer you in the right direction. Either way, good luck.

Anthony J. Zeoli
Attorney At Law
Hecht & Seidman, LLC
(773) 983-9133

DISCLAIMER. The above post is provided solely for general informational purposes. Any information in the above post is NOT intended to be specific legal advice and should NOT be relied upon as such. NO attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of the above posting and I strongly urge you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer