For taxes purposes. My parents are dependents. What is the process to claim them? birth certificates & passports For ITNs?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orland Park, IL

They live in Mexico. I'm Naturalized American Citizen. When I travel I take money or when my family members come to the US I send money with them. I wàs told I have to prove my parents income and that I provide them at least with half of what they receive from pension, or other sources

1. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . If your parents do not live in your household, you might not be able to claim them as dependents. Bringing them money could be considered gifts, not support. You need to discuss the details of your situation with a tax specialist.

2. Anthony James Zeoli

1

Answered . It may be possible to claim them as dependents but you should contact a tax accountant as soon as possible to determine if and how you may do so. If you would like a referral to one that handles this type of work please feel free to contact me and I can steer you in the right direction. Either way, good luck.

Anthony J. Zeoli
    Attorney At Law
    Hecht & Seidman, LLC
    (773) 983-9133
    azeoli@hechtseidman.com