For irs taxes and offers of Compromise, about what range of time can a response from the irs e expected?

Laingsburg, MI |
Filed under: Debt Tax law

I hesitated to ask this question as I figure the response is "it depends." The reason I ask is this is all very stressful and I'd like to have some idea of what to expect. Is there some range of time that most people hear back (eg, it's unusual to hear back before 2 months; 80% hear back within six months...????).

Usually an Offer in Comprmise will be assigned within about 4 months from when you send it to the IRS. Lately, I've had a couple get picked up in a month or two, and one that's been waiting for assignment for almost a year. Sometimes it depends on how much money is at stake.

Robert Hoffman is a tax attorney licensed in California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For competent advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Robert J. Hoffman

Robert J. Hoffman

*Offer in Compromise, not Comprmise

Normally, you should plan on 9 months to 1 year. it depends on the type of offer and the amount. You should have a good tax lawyer prepare the Offer In Compromise.

Good luck!

Ron Cappuccio
www.TaxEsq.com

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.

my experience has been that they sit for about a year. Then, they can take up to another year to finalize everything. It is not a quick process, and your interest will continue to accrue during the whole process. Plus, there is no guarantee the offer will be accepted. For all these reasons, it is important to have someone experienced prepare this.

See the link for some info on this.

This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced law ONLY in LOUISIANA and answers to questions from other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state.