For improper service where law firm didn't follow the protocol to notify the defendant properly, how can I handle the civil suit

Asked about 2 years ago - Arlington Heights, IL

I found out that there are 2 judgments against me that was filed on 10/07. In CA
In 2002-2003 moved to Illinois.
I were never properly served with process or notified.
I found out this just recently, by ordering buck ground check. 01/13
Can I appeal this judgment using "improper service" or something else?
How can I find help in CA from ILL?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . Well, for example if this a a credit card debt your contract may have waived service and submitted you to CA court jurisdiction when you signed up.

    Read the details.

    Good luck.

  2. Answered . You really need to address this question to a California attorney. If you were not served properly in most states judgments are void or voidable but you will have to go to the state court where the judgments were entered to undo them, and the procedures should be statutory. What you want to watch out for is the registry of the judgments here in Illinois because that will complicate things and could require action in both California and Illinois.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now