For how long Green Card holder should stay in USA before traveling back.

Asked about 5 years ago - Sarasota, FL

Hi, my mom is a green card holder and due to the family emergency she needs to travel back to Russia. She plans to stay in Russia for about 5 month then return to USA. After she comes back to USA, for how long she should stay in USA before she can go back to Russia? Please advise.

Thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Scott Douglas Devore

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . There is no bright line test. If she plans on being out for an extended period of time she should apply for a reentry permit. This will allow her to stay out longer than 6 months without abandoning her residence. I generally tell peope they should stay inside the US for at least as long as they were outside the US. In your example if out for 5 then in for 5.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,293 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,293 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering