For how long do I have to work for my employer once I get the green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I hear people saying three months, other saying six months (after getting the green card). However, I could not find anything specific. Is there a law or regulation in these regards?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . You have already asked this question multiple times and I responded each time. So this time let me tell you a real case experience:
    Years ago, I heard a legacy INS adjudicating officer during an employment based green card interview in downtown Los Angeles state that "if the applicant worked even one day for the employer after getting his green card than he is OK for having complied with the law". I wouldn't be so liberal nowadays but will still repeat that that there is no definite time in the law which we could use as a guide or frame of reference.

Many of my clients remain working for their original employers through whom they obtained their green card all the way through their application for naturalization and beyond.. While there are others I know who, for various reasons resigned their positions within 1 or 2 months after having received their GCs. They did not have any problems during their citizenship interviews.

2. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . There is no magic number. It's technically possible that you can encounter difficulties when you return to USCIS for citizenship if you resign your employment too soon.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

2

Answered . I am assuming your 485 was filed months ago. If you worked for the employer 180 days after that, you are covered under AC21. After obtaining the green card if you decide to move to another employer with the same or substantially the same job you should be fine.