For how long can I stay in the US on an H1B after I have resigned my job? I need 5-10 days to sell my stuff/sublet my apartment.

New York, NY |

Will that harm my chances of getting a visa in the future?

5 to 10 days should be ok and should not hurt future chances for another visa.

I agree with Attorney West. Please remember there is no grace period for H1B holders like F-1 students. Once you resign, you will be out of status.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

There is no formal grace period to be in the country after the H1B is terminated -- leave as soon as you can -- 5 days sounds like it should not pose future problems. Keep a record of what you are trying to accomplish during this time so you can explain your "overstay" if you need to down the road.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

Thanks for your help. I guess my question is what is a "safe" period of time that cannot be questioned on while keeping in mind that I will be out of status the after my last day?

Recommended articles about Immigration