For Florida Small Claims: Civil Cover Sheet guide says to check one County or Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial Circuit?

Asked over 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

At the top of the form it says IN THE COUNTY COURT OF THE FIFTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT IN AND FOR PALM BEACH COUNTY, FLORIDA. Under that is the case number and a space for DIVISION. Am I, as the plaintiff supposed to fill that in? I see no place to put a check or write anything pertaining to this instruction. Please help!

1. Stuart M. Address

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . You do not need to fill in a division. That is for the Clerk. However, it is small claims court in Palm Beach County of the 15th Judicial Circuit but that is already on the form s you noted.

2. Aldo Bolliger

3

Answered . Smal Claims court is a "county" court and pertains to claims under $5,000, check the box stating county court. The Clerk of court will assign a case number and potentially a division once you file the caseand make payment.

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . Actually, you need not file a "civil cover sheet" at all. The civil cover sheet is used for cases that are governed under the Civil Rules of Procedure. Your claim is for $5,000.00 or less, or you wouldn't be filing in Small Claims Court, and Small Claims cases are governed by the Small Claims Rules of Procedure, which does not require a civil cover sheet.

The term "division", by the way, refers to the division to which the case is assigned. The presiding judge of that division may rotate to another division--the case is assigned to a division, not to a particular judge.