For Florida Small Claims: Civil Cover Sheet guide says to check one County or Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial Circuit?

West Palm Beach, FL |

At the top of the form it says IN THE COUNTY COURT OF THE FIFTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT IN AND FOR PALM BEACH COUNTY, FLORIDA. Under that is the case number and a space for DIVISION. Am I, as the plaintiff supposed to fill that in? I see no place to put a check or write anything pertaining to this instruction. Please help!

You do not need to fill in a division. That is for the Clerk. However, it is small claims court in Palm Beach County of the 15th Judicial Circuit but that is already on the form s you noted.

2. Smal Claims court is a "county" court and pertains to claims under $5,000, check the box stating county court. The Clerk of court will assign a case number and potentially a division once you file the caseand make payment.

Disclaimer: This response is based solely upon the limited information provided in your question; additional facts may be necessary and may lead to a different response. The attorney responding to this question is licensed only in Florida and this response is intended for informational purpose only and not intended as legal advice in your particular state. Additionally, the response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship.

3. Actually, you need not file a "civil cover sheet" at all. The civil cover sheet is used for cases that are governed under the Civil Rules of Procedure. Your claim is for $5,000.00 or less, or you wouldn't be filing in Small Claims Court, and Small Claims cases are governed by the Small Claims Rules of Procedure, which does not require a civil cover sheet.

The term "division", by the way, refers to the division to which the case is assigned. The presiding judge of that division may rotate to another division--the case is assigned to a division, not to a particular judge.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.