Skip to main content

For divorce, I have been laid off at work and need help with child support worksheet entry for severance.

Denver, CO |

I was salaried employee and got a few months severance. On the child support worksheet for divorce, do I have to still be listed with gross pay based on the severance, while my ex is listed at net pay with self employment?

Attorney Answers 3


Woah, you need to be sitting down with an attorney. Why is your ex listing only net pay from self employment instead of adjusted gross income and gross income. Additionally, you need to talk with an attorney about how the severance is to be treated and considered. Was it a lump sum payout? Is it only being paid out on a monthly basis? Most attorneys offer free initial consultations and it would be worthwhile to pursue. Good luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Leroi. If you cannot afford an attorney since you were laid off, you can apply to Metro Volunteer Lawyers or Colorado Legal Services for legal assistance. Good luck to you.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Leroi that there seems to be some inappropriate or incorrect reporting with regard to incomes. I also agree you need to speak to a family law attorney because your situation presents both complexities and a changing landscape across time. Your severance may be treated in a number of ways depending upon the manner in which it is paid, and in the event you find yourself unemployed for a period of time, you may need to seek a modification of support based on these changing financial circumstances. Hopefully you are again employed prior to your severance funds being depleted. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics