For calculating child support, is the per diem meal allowance ($46) a work related expense under CA Code 4059 (F) ?

Asked 6 months ago - Glendale, CA

Truck Driver, has to eat and sleep on his truck away from his house. His income is reduce drastically by not staying at this house as a normal worker. He eats out a lot because of this reason, which is more costly than eating at home. He is away from home 5 days per week.

Can he request the court to consider these expenses as Work Related Expenses under Code 4059 (F)? I understand can deny it, but is it reasonable to ask for it?

For taxes purpose, you can claim a fixed amount , which I think is $46 per day. How much is for child support? is it the actual cost?

1. Brenda J. Russo

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . The short answer is that you can request that these expenses be deducted from your gross earnings, and you will want to attach a spreadsheet to your income and expense declaration clearly identifying each additional expense you are required to pay and whether or not it is reimbursed by your employer. However, if the main deduction is food, the court may not go along. This is because you are presumably saving on your grocery bill as well, and it is assumed that everyone must eat with the funds left over to them after the payment of support. Best of luck.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . Put it down on your income expense declaration and identify it with an mc 30, so the court can decide.

3. Edna Carroll Straus

1

Answered . I see you have asked the question again. You gave of more detail this time.

it's not fair to me how's your income is reduced by sleeping in your truck, but if there is a significant impact, then it is reasonable to ask the court to me take it into account.

However, you really need to pay someone to assist you with this. When you get into non standard and sophisticated situations, free advice is not what you're really need of.