For an LPS conservatorship, does the conservatee have the right to be aware of the conservatorship?

Redwood City, CA |

Is there any possibility that right could be denied?

1. Notice to the conservatee is required. You need to speak with an elder law attorney.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. Hi, The answer to your question is no. I agree with Counselor Schultz, you need to hire an attorney well versed in Elder Law to assist you in the process you are contemplating. You should consider hiring Counselor Schultz as he has taken the time to help you. In the alternative, I have found some of the finest attorneys in the country are available using the search function here on Avvo.com.

Of course, as always this answer is general in nature, applies only to Illinois law, assumes certain facts omitted from the question and does not take into account any facts specific to any person’s particular circumstances. No attorney/client relation is created hereunder and I highly recommend you seek first the counsel and advice of an experienced contested civil litigator prior to taking any actions relating to this matter, as seemingly insignificant actions may have unintended consequences.

3. The proposed ward or conservatee is given notice that the conservatorship action has commenced so that they can hire a attorney of their own to challenge the allegation that they are incapacitated.