For a juvenile who engages in shoplifting in California, what is the progression of penalties with each subsequent arrest?

Asked over 1 year ago - Menlo Park, CA

If the juvenile is 13 or 14 years old, what would the penalty likely be for the first arrest? The second? The third? Each subsequent arrest? I need to know the answer to this question for each arrest. If it depends, what does it depend on? At what point does the juvenile go to jail / juvenile hall / prison / whatever it's called? Thanks so much in advance for as detailed an answer as possible.

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

Answered . This depends on the local juvenile court and the timing of the offenses. If the allegations occured in a short span of time then the child is better off than if it occurred over a prolong period. In Los Angeles, the situation may result in HOP (Home On Probation, no hall, no jail, no prison) depending on the circumstances which is why I suggest contacting someone in your area who has had juvenile matters. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest contacting one soon while the facts are still fresh.

2. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

Answered . This depends on many factors: value of property, time between theft offenses, whether juvenile was on probation when theft occurred, family living situation, attendance and grades in school. For the first offense (petty theft) the matter will likely involve a diversion program without a conviction. Subsequent theft offenses will lead to juvenile convictions and probation and possibly custody time. If this is not a hypothetical question and you or your child faces juvenile prosecution you should consult a local criminal attorney experienced in juvenile cases.
    I offer a free office or phone consultation: 408.313.5606. Best of luck.