For a divorce, does the petitioner have to remain in the county, or come to the hearing/final decree?

Asked about 2 years ago - Denton, TX

it is a consensual/mutually agreed divorce, without children, or property. The respondent will remain in the same house in the same county - Denton, Texas.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. William Tyler Moore Jr


    Contributor Level 19


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . So long as one of the parties appears before the judge to "prove up" an agreed decree, it doesn't matter which one does it. The residency question applies to the time the divorce suit was filed. Once filed, you do not have to remain in the county. You do need to sign the agreed decree and to file it with the court.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more
  2. Oscar Rene Diaz


    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . At a minimum, at least one party must be present to offer sworn testimony at the final hearing; however, both parties will need to sign the final decree.

  3. Courtney Shea Repka Wortham


    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . Without more information, and without seeing the petition along with (if any) the county's standing orders, it is difficult to provide an answer. Typically in an agreed divorce, either party can do the "prove up" of the final divorce. At least one party must be a domiciliary of the county in which you have filed. You should contact a local family law attorney today.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,598 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,598 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering