For a DBA/Fictitious name - are there any regular filing needs?

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: S-corporation

I have an S Corp and I file legal requirements every year with SOS CA. I am good here.
If I sign up for a DBA (same S Corp) - will this entity have any separate annual filings needed for my county or state or federal government?

Thanks so much.

CA DBAs expire every 5 years and need to be renewed, but there are no annual filings.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

The filing of a DBA creates no independent obligations other than renewal every 5 years.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I agree with my colleagues.

Please note that the fictitious business name is *not* a separate entity - it is an alternative way to refer to the existing corporate entity.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business