For a Boeing pension QDRO, need I (at all and) before retirement, declare a surviving spouse option for a former spouse?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bothell, WA

My ex and I are on good terms. This, our 2nd attempt to get a Q'd DRO, her current atty is telling me that I need to designate now, years before I retire, which Surviving Spouse Option I wish to select.

First of all, I think he's wrong in saying that I have to decide anything now, and that I need to spousal-anything other than what's in our PSA, which has her receiving 30%.

I'm well-read on the Separate Interest and Shared Payment approaches and I don't see any such requirement or implication.

1. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

Answered . Sometimes reasonable minds can differ. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but when you ask for input on a free website, sometimes you'll get the unvarnished truth. In all honesty, there are often huge disagreements about legal matters. It is the grey areas where the lawyers go to work the most.