Food poisoning.

Washington, PA |

I ate at taco bell last night and now I've got food poisoning. I plan on going to the hospital just to make sure I do have it, but I've had it before and it's the same symptoms. Now if I find out it is, what kind of legal action should I take? I never sued anyone before

1. And you won't now. If your entire damages are the cost of the meal and a day's missed work, that will not justify a lawsuit. If you are in need of emergency medical care, by all means go to the hospital. If you simply want to confirm the diagnosis of food poisoning, consider stopping by your family doctor or clinic for 1/3 or 1/4 the charge.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

2. Given your minor symptoms it is going to be hard to get an attorney to handle your case. I would definitely go to your regular doctor for the tests, and you should also contact your local health inspector and report the incident if the tests come back positive for food poisoning.
    If you want a refund for your meal and/or another free meal then take your receipt and the test results back to a Taco Bell and ask to speak with the manager.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

3. Yah, your best bet here is to follow the other attorneys advice. I highly doubt even the newest attorney would take on a case like this simply because there are not enough damages to justify an attorney getting involved. Unless the food poisoning was intentional (which it was likely not), then you'd be limited to the cost of the meal (maybe) and the medical costs, and the missed time from work (maybe), if they were found liable. Even if you take the receipt back to Taco Bell and copies of the medical records, you don't exactly have evidence to prove that it was taco bell that caused the food poisoning.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on without first consulting with an attorney who practices in the related area in the related jurisdiction.