Skip to main content

Following trial and submission of findings of fact and law, how and when can I submit new /updated evidence?

Saint Louis, MO |
Filed under: Divorce

We have started a divorce process in 2011, went through trial, and submitted facts of law and proposed judgement. I have a piece of information that I want to submit but am not sure if I can do it now. I was told the judge is now to review the proposed judgments when it comes to her which may take a couple of months.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    You will need a Motion to Reopen the Case for additional evidence. You must be able to show this evidence was not available to you prior to trial in spite of a diligent effort by you and your attorney to discover it. If it was within your ability to find that evidence but the effort was not made, don't waste your time. It is very difficult to reopen a case for additional evidence once a trial is completed.

    This comment does not create an attorney-client relationship. The law and its application by the courts is constantly evolving and changing. This discussion is not to be taken as a definitive guide, and should not be relied upon to determine all fact situations. Each set of facts must be examined separately with the current case and statutory law analyzed and applied accordingly.

  2. Are you doing this by yourself? If so, there are ways to potentially get the evidence re-opened. If you are represented, talk to your attorney.

    The answer to this question is not intended to be construed as legal advice. Nothing in this answer creates an attorney/client relationship. I do not represent you. If you wish to consult me regarding representation, please visit my website at

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics