Follow to join (I-824) or I-130?

Hi. My son is still in China. I immigrated to the USA 5 years ago but did not bring him because I wanted his early education to be Chinese. I came to the USA on K-1 and have the 10yr green card. My husband (US Citizen) and I now wish my son to come to start his middle school before the end of this year. Should we file I-130 or I-824? It seems I-824, but we are unsure of the "preference category" requirement. Thank you.

Bellevue, WA -

Find Out More

Theodore Su-Tsoh Huang

Theodore Su-Tsoh Huang

Immigration Attorney - Brea, CA

Ni hao. Your husband would file for your son using the I-130. I understand how you wanted to have your child finish some of his education in China. Many of my K-1 clients feel the same way. Please be aware that there are age issues and timing issues that need to be examined for a successful application. I suggest you speak with an experienced immigration attorney. Best wishes!

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

Immigration Attorney - Bellevue, WA

Yes, I agree that at this point, assuming the case meets certain requirements, you want your husband to petition for the children directly as his step-children. It sounds like your biological children were under 18 years old when you married your American citizen husband. If so, then I also recommend you contact an immigration attorney to explain why this is the best way to go, and assist you through it.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

The I130.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with my colleagues.