FMLA and employer not willing to cooperate

Asked over 1 year ago - Pleasant Grove, UT

I suffer from anxiety and depression, for which I have been treated for over 8 years. I have been working at a call center for 15 months, and the company has more than 50 employees.
I have already told my employer that I intend to take the FMLA but I have not received any kind of feedback from my employer. In fact, my supervisor has ignored me every time I bring it up. What can I do?

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

You can and should communicate with your employer about FMLA and any other legal matter only in writing, keeping copies for yourself at home (not at work . . . things disappear). Employers tend to take written communications more seriously, plus you may need proof of the communications if things do not go properly.

If your communication was directed to your boss, try directing the next communication to human resources; again, do it in writing.

If this doesn't work, the obvious next step is to retain an attorney to assit you in obtaining your legal rights. You are likely to have to pay for this assistance on an hourly basis, but the attorney may be able to negotiate reimbursement from the employer.

You can also file an administrative charge with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Please follow this link for more information: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

All that said, if your employer is not complying with the law at this early stage, it does not bode well for its willingness to comply with the law and allow you to exercise your legal rights to FMLA leave without negative consequences. Once more, this suggests a need to work with an attorney.

You may also have rights under the ADA if your anxiety and depression meet the definition of "disability" under the ADA, which they probably do if they have been going on for eight years. Under the ADA, a leave of absence may be a reasonable accommodation.

Please look at my Avvo guide on the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA): http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe....

Please look at my Avvo guide on the ADA: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe....

You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site www.nela.org. NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

2. Lori Jeanne Costanzo

Answered . If the company employs more than 50 persons, they must have a human resource department. You should go directly to that department and explain your circumstances. In addition, you may want to discuss the fact that your supervisor is ignoring you.