Skip to main content

Florida probate laws, procedure for contesting a will

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

How can I find out if I was left an inheritance by a grandmother in Broward County? The family did not notify me of the death or funeral. They ahve not been honest since my parents divorced.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Thanks for your question. Since I am an attorney, I cannot ethically give you specific legal advice on your situation, since you are not my client, but I can only provide you with general information that you may find helpful. The best advice that I can recommend to you is to contact a local estate administration attorney that can work with you on your unique situation.

    Generally speaking, you may try to find out if a probate administration has been opened on your grandmother’s estate by contacting the Clerk of Courts, Probate Division at (954) 831-6565. If so, there will likely be a Will on file with the court and you can purchase a copy of the Will to find out the contents. The Clerk of Courts staff is very helpful, but they are not permitted to give legal advice. If you have concerns, you will need to contact a local Broward county attorney to advise you.

    Best of luck,
    Shawn C. Newman, Esq.
    Attorney At Law
    1881 NE 26th Street, Suite 212E
    Wilton Manors, FL 33305
    (877) 552-9385

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics