FLORIDA landlord liability when you rent a home with a pool

Asked almost 4 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

THE HOUSE HAS A LANAI AND A SCREENED IN CAGE COVERING THE POOL AND LANAI DECK BUT NO OTHER FENCE INSIDE THE SCREENED AREA SPECIFICALLY AROUND THE POOL.

I DON'T BELIEVE IT HAS ANY BELL WHEN THE DOOR OPENS ALTHOUGH I COULD PUT A MANUAL ALARM ON THAT THE TENANTS WOULD HAVE TO TURN ON.

WHAT ARE THE LAWS CONCERNING LANDLORDS AND RENTERS IN FLORIDA CONCERNING POOLS? HOW DO I KEEP MYSELF FROM LIABILITY

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Both are liable, owner, who clearly owns and maintains the premises, but also the renter, who is in control of the premises. Issues brought up in your posting are important but resolution requires specific review of all of the facts and circumstances, such that it’s nearly impossible, if not entirely impossible, for an attorney to give you a useful legal analysis based solely on a summary posting on an internet site. I appreciate your concern. I know this is not the answer that you are looking for, but I believe that you will need to obtain a consultation with an attorney to further explore the specific circumstances behind your question.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.