Florida foreclosure/ deed in lieu?

Asked over 5 years ago - Sarasota, FL

I purchased a home in Sarasota in April 2005. Husband lost his job shortly thereafter and he relocated back to the northeast and rents an apartment. I am employed by a company based in florida but work mostly out of the NY area. we have tried to sell the home on and off for the past 3 years..currently listed at 100K less than what we owe. Have been able to keep paying but its getting really tough and my job is very shaky. I have excellent credit, mortgage in my name, really have been hanging on as long as possible, but realize its not going to get better in my market and mentally ready to mail in the keys. have been on the market for a short sale for 7 months and no offers. Broker suggesting I stop paying to get the bank's attention. Have family suggesting I talk to a lawyer and then someone else said a tax attorney? I consider this my primary residence. Assume I need someone who practices in Florida?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mara Lynn Shaughnessy

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . It would be a good idea to contact a Florida licensed real estate attorney. Do not stop making your mortgage payments as this will adversely impact your credit score. A real estate attorney will be able to assist you in resolving the situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,747 answers this week

3,261 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,747 answers this week

3,261 attorneys answering