Florida - Is a Summary Administration appropriate in this case?

Pelham, NY |

My friend recently died in Hillsborough County, Florida, leaving no immediate family. I am in the will as Personal Representative and sole beneficiary. Value of the estate is less than $30,000 (owns a trailer home free and clear; primary residence is "under water" and foreclosure proceedings were pending at time of death. I've identified a couple of smallish creditors (including myself). Seems as though Summary Administration might be the way to go, but I'm not sure.

1. It sounds like you may be right. It is important that you discuss this with a Florida attorney before proceeding, however, to make sure that this can be done. You may also wish to re-post your question using a Florida address. As is, most Florida attorneys will not likely see this.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. I suggest you re-post this in the Florida Avvo section as I don't think too many New York lawyers will know the answer to your question.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Wills and estates topics