Floirda does not recognize Legal Separation..Can I still file a motion for support unconnected with a dissolution of marriage?

Asked 11 months ago - Lake Worth, FL

Entering a trial separation with my spouse. Depending on the outcome we may or may not go forward with divorce proceedings, in the meantime am I able to file for Separate Maintenance Support along with Child Support while we are separated in order to maintain the household & children?

1. Gregory Thomas Buckley

Pro

6

1

Answered . Yes, you may file a Petition for Support Unconnected with Dissolution of Marriage with Dependent or Minor Child(ren). Please see below for a form, but you may be better served seeking the advice of a family law attorney in your area.

2. Donald G. Criscuolo

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes, of course you may file an action for support unconnected with a dissolution of marriage as per Fl. St. 61.09. In such an action the court would establish a timesharing schedule for the minor children, if any, and require the payment of alimony if the court finds that you have a need and the opposing party has the ability to pay. This action is almost the same as a divorce but there is no adjudication of property rights and no dissolution of marriage. You should consult an experienced family law attorney.

3. Erskine Clark Rogers III

2

Answered . My colleagues are correct. You can file for child support, spousal support, and parenting issues without filing for divorce. But remember, divorce, separation, and even marriage is as much of a process as an event. You will benefit from a review of your particular situation with an experienced family attorney, regardless of which path you travel.