Skip to main content

FL dui requiring interlock system 1st offense will GA also require this?

Tampa, FL |

I received a DUI in FL almost done paying fines and will be off probation soon. FL requires interlock system for 6 months to get license back. Moving to GA soon after probation is done. Should I get license and interlock in FL then transfer license to GA? O

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Georgia will probably make you comply with the restrictions FL has imposed, then get reinstated in FL before they will issue you a license in GA. So yes, get your license and interlock in FL so that you comply with their restrictions.

The question is, if you move to GA, can you drive in GA with a FL license and interlock? If you have a valid restricted license in FL because you have an IID installed, then you should be OK to drive in GA, but you may want to call the GA DMV to be sure. You may have some issues with the FL interlock out of state because most companies have to re-calibrate the device every 60 days or so. You are best to choose an IID company that has branches in GA as well as FL.

You probably will not be able to get GA to issue you a GA license until FL releases you of the restriction and reinstates your license. Reinstatement is usually not automatic, so you will have to go to DMV in FL or call them to get reinstated if they don't have online services.

You also do not want to disconnect the IID with your FL provider unless the FL DMV approves it because you may get a violation

This answer is my personal opinion, offered for informational purposes only. It is not a legal opinion, nor is it legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with anyone reading it.


When did you enter the plea? You may have difficulty obtaining a license in GA if your privilege is suspended in FL. You are going to have difficulty obtaining an interlock and taking it to GA as you are expected to have it calibrated once per month.

If you have already served the suspension (you are eligible for a full license with an interlock restriction) you will be in a much better position.



My plea was entered in January and my license has been suspended since then until July.

Timothy F. Sullivan

Timothy F. Sullivan


Is there a reason you did not obtain a hardship license after your plea? Was this your second DUI offense?

Timothy F. Sullivan

Timothy F. Sullivan


Is there a reason you did not obtain a hardship license after your plea? Was this your second DUI offense?


Under the existing Interstate Compact, even if you move to Georgia, the requirements of the Florida Court which convicted you must still be complied with. Consult with your DUI attorney, but it is highly likely that you will still be required to pay for and use the interlock system. Good Luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer