First years after getting a marriage based green card...

Asked over 1 year ago - Ann Arbor, MI

I want to enroll on a two years Master's program as soon as I get my marriage based green card. Will that affect my citizenship application later. I mean is it better to have job during the first three years and then apply for the citizenship or enrolling on a Master's program has no effect on my eventual citizenship application. Also, for taxes, do I have to file for the taxes in my first year as a resident for the previous year in which I was not a resident or do I have to wait until my second year as a resident

1. Russell Reid Abrutyn

Pro

6

1

Answered . For a marriage-based permanent resident, it should generally not make a difference in terms of naturalization eligibility if the permanent resident went to school versus worked after obtaining permanent resident status. For tax questions, you should speak with a tax professional who is experienced in assisting foreign nationals.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Best Answer

Answered . Your choices regarding education vs. work should not have any effect on your naturalization application. Regarding taxes, you generally need to file taxes if the IRS requires you to do so. A licensed tax preparer or licensed accountant should be able to provide you with the assistance you need regarding taxes.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

1

Answered . Being a student makes no difference.

4. Lisa A. Tehlirian

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Your educational pursuits will not have an effect on your naturalization/citizenship eligibility. You should consult with a tax professional or accountant regarding your question about tax filing.

5. Jorge Luis Delgado

1

Answered . It is irrelevant if you work or study. You have to pay taxes for any year you had income regardless of status.

6. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . It makes absolutely no difference whether you are in school, or working, in an application for citizenship.