First time offense Dui on base.

Asked 9 months ago - Saint Marys, GA

I was in a Dui related accident on base. I am a military spouse. I wasn't used to driving the big truck I was driving and lost control on the vehicle and hit a small transformer box. I was then arrested and spent the night in jail. I had a breath test along with having my blood drawn at the hospital. Can my case be reduced and possibly dropped? Is that even a possibility? What will happen with the damage done to the transformer. I was turned over to the local sheriffs department and from what I understand I can't be charged by the local officer sand the base. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Steven P. Shewmaker

6

1

Answered . You cannot be charged by the military. However the United States Attorney can charge civilians and military defendants in the federal magistrate court. They can charge you for DUI or other moving violations.

Your questions are good. I would advise doing some community service right away; taking a DUI course right away; and going to an AA meeting. Doing these things will make negotiations easier, in the event that the case is not beatable based upon any possible missteps by the p

You need to hire an attorney familiar with these matters. I'm always happy to help.

2. Elmer H. Young III

3

1

Answered . Locals won't have jurisdiction on Federal property. Not sure if this is is Naval base or nearby Ft Stewart, so best to contact experienced, local DUI experts shown on this site.

3. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . The locals can't charge you, but charges can be brought against you for DUI through other channels. As far as a dismissal, or the charges being reduced, that is going to depend on what your breath test was, what the blood test results are, if you performed field sobriety tests, whether or not you were read an implied consent notice, etc. You should meet with a local DUI attorney who practices DUI law.