FIRST TIME OFFENSE DEALING IN STOLEN PROPERTY , WILL I DO JAIL TIME & WILL MY JUVENILE RECORD BE LOOKED AT

Asked over 1 year ago - Naples, FL

MY BROTHER STOLE SOME JEWERLY FROM HIS FRIENDS MOM & PAWNED IT . HE HAS BEEN CHARGED WITH DEALING IN STOLEN PROPERTY. THIS IS HIS 1RST OFFENSE AS AN ADULT. HE IS 18 YRS OLD. HE DOES HAVE A JUVENILE RECORD . WILL THE DA PULL HIS JUVENILE RECORD AND WHAT IS HE LOOKING AT AS FAR AS PUNISHMENT ! THANK YOU !

1. Eric J Trabin

8

Answered . The prosecutor will have access to the juvenile record and it may impact how they want to proceed. Depending on how recent the juvenile case was, it could even add points to his scoresheet. The maximum punishment on Dealing in Stolen Property (a second degree felony) is 15 years of prison or probation or any combination thereof. It is unlikely that your brother would get the maximum, but it is not implausible that he could get some amount of jail or even prison. It really depends on his juvenile history, how recent it was, the facts of this case, and the lawyers/judge involved. He needs a lawyer.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.
  2. Jackson Keith Hilliard

7

Answered . Yes, the state attorney will look at his juvenile record. Whether your brother will do jail time or prison time depends on a lot of factors. It depends on his prior record, the state attorney and the judge. The particular facts of your brother's case can also influence the punishment. This is all assuming that the state has a case and can prove your brother guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Your brother definitely needs to consult an attorney.

3. Larry Thomas McMillan

4

Answered . Yes they will pull, review and consider his juvenile record. He is looking at some very serious felony charges. Depending on the position of the victim, he may very well be looking at time in state prison.

I would suggest that he consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Naples.

4. Don Waggoner

Pro

2

Answered . I don't necessarily disagree with the other attorneys, but I believe it is highly unlikely your brother will get any jail time for this particular charge. However, I suggest he hire a good attorney to make sure he doesn't.

5. James W Chandler

Pro

1

Answered . Certain Juvenile convictions at age 16 and 17 will appear on is adult Felony Scoresheet, which may score him to prison based on his current offense and his juvenile history.

Things are done differently in Collier than pretty much anywhere else.
    I offer a free consultation in my Naples office, (239) 732-6631