First time offense.... $26,000 food stamp fraud.

Asked over 2 years ago - Waxahachie, TX

I have never been in trouble with the law, I got investigated tuesday for food stamp fraud for alittle over $26,000 dollars. they told me that there could be a warrant for my arrest, or I could have to pay it back. We needed the help, hubby didnt make enough to help and I did what I thought was right for my kids. I did write a statement, and now I am wait for my report to be turned in to see what happens. What is the chances of my going to prison? they were really nice and i told the truth and was honest and coroporated with them.

please tell me what i should be prepared for....

1. Edward Alan Jendrzey

Best Answer

Answered . You have a constitutional right to remain silent, and in most instances you should remain silent until you have consulted with a lawyer about the facts of your case. As previously posted by another attorney, do not post your comments on the internet. In Texas, fraud of this type, over $20,000.00, is a 3rd degree felony carrying a punishment of not less than 2 years or more than 10 years in prison, and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. If you have never been been convicted of a felony, you are also eligible for probation or deferred adjudication - two different types of community supervision. If this case is in Ellis County, Texas, it could be days or months before a warrant for your arrest is issued, if probable cause exists for one. After arrest, you will see a judge, and a bond will be set.

2. Arthur Harold Geffen

Pro

Answered . You shoudl be prepared for the absolute worst. Don't say anything else and don't post this information on a board like this because you can be sure that the prosecutor will find it. The first thing you need to do is hire a great criminal lawyer.