First time offense.... $26,000 food stamp fraud.

Waxahachie, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I have never been in trouble with the law, I got investigated tuesday for food stamp fraud for alittle over $26,000 dollars. they told me that there could be a warrant for my arrest, or I could have to pay it back. We needed the help, hubby didnt make enough to help and I did what I thought was right for my kids. I did write a statement, and now I am wait for my report to be turned in to see what happens. What is the chances of my going to prison? they were really nice and i told the truth and was honest and coroporated with them.

please tell me what i should be prepared for....

You have a constitutional right to remain silent, and in most instances you should remain silent until you have consulted with a lawyer about the facts of your case. As previously posted by another attorney, do not post your comments on the internet. In Texas, fraud of this type, over $20,000.00, is a 3rd degree felony carrying a punishment of not less than 2 years or more than 10 years in prison, and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. If you have never been been convicted of a felony, you are also eligible for probation or deferred adjudication - two different types of community supervision. If this case is in Ellis County, Texas, it could be days or months before a warrant for your arrest is issued, if probable cause exists for one. After arrest, you will see a judge, and a bond will be set.

This answer is just to provide you with some thoughts on your situation and does not create or establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. You shoudl be prepared for the absolute worst. Don't say anything else and don't post this information on a board like this because you can be sure that the prosecutor will find it. The first thing you need to do is hire a great criminal lawyer.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the asnwer was a good answer tab below. Thanks. Mr. Geffen is licensed to practice law throughout the state of Texas with an office in Dallas. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States and is licensed to practice in US Tax Court as well as The Court of Claims. This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.