First time offense.... $26,000 food stamp fraud.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Waxahachie, TX

I have never been in trouble with the law, I got investigated tuesday for food stamp fraud for alittle over $26,000 dollars. they told me that there could be a warrant for my arrest, or I could have to pay it back. We needed the help, hubby didnt make enough to help and I did what I thought was right for my kids. I did write a statement, and now I am wait for my report to be turned in to see what happens. What is the chances of my going to prison? they were really nice and i told the truth and was honest and coroporated with them.

please tell me what i should be prepared for....

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Edward Alan Jendrzey

    Contributor Level 7
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You have a constitutional right to remain silent, and in most instances you should remain silent until you have consulted with a lawyer about the facts of your case. As previously posted by another attorney, do not post your comments on the internet. In Texas, fraud of this type, over $20,000.00, is a 3rd degree felony carrying a punishment of not less than 2 years or more than 10 years in prison, and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. If you have never been been convicted of a felony, you are also eligible for probation or deferred adjudication - two different types of community supervision. If this case is in Ellis County, Texas, it could be days or months before a warrant for your arrest is issued, if probable cause exists for one. After arrest, you will see a judge, and a bond will be set.

    This answer is just to provide you with some thoughts on your situation and does not create or establish an... more
  2. Arthur Harold Geffen


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You shoudl be prepared for the absolute worst. Don't say anything else and don't post this information on a board like this because you can be sure that the prosecutor will find it. The first thing you need to do is hire a great criminal lawyer.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the asnwer was a good answer tab below. Thanks.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,889 answers this week

2,449 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,889 answers this week

2,449 attorneys answering