Skip to main content

First time dwi arrest. i didn't blow. i had no beers. passed roadside tests. still arrested and released.

Rochester, NY |

pulled over for no reason, had paperwork ready. all legit. shows up with my paperwork and a breathalyzer and asks me to blow. i refuse. he makes me get out, do roadside test and i record everything. i pass. he still arrests me. in retrospect, i should have just blown but i host a talk show and one of our MAIN topics is police misconduct. he was so pissed that i recorded him. i was angry but i didn't lash out. he claimed i sabotaged the "gaze test" and put me in cuffs. an hour later, released with a few tickets. this police department in particular has harassed me in the past and blocked my access to my old police reports for a time i was assaulted, claiming that i was a suspect because it involved one of the k9 wardens and this is why i refused the test. corruption. what happens now?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You need to retain a local, experienced criminal defense attorney who does a significant amount of DWI defense. At your first court appearance, a "Not Guilty" plea will be entered and your attorney will serve a Demand for Discovery on the District Attorney's Office, triggering an obligation to turn over any reports related to your arrest. Your attorney will review these reports, spotting the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecution's case, and will advise you of your options, namely to fight the charges, because here in Monroe County the District Attorney's Office rarely makes offers in "refusal" cases. I frequently handle these types of cases and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your case with you.

  2. You get a good criminal lawyer and fight the case. Does this police department use dashboard caeras? If so, your lawyer will want to request the video.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. I would hire the best criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction to defend the case ASAP. Defend the case at court with counsel.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  4. You need a good attorney. Your refusal + the officers "expert opinion" lead to the charge of common-law intoxication. There are strong defenses and it sounds like you will need them.
    Good Luck!

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Police misconduct topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics