First Offense Retail Theft of under $60. I know will be treated as Summary offense with fine of 100-250.

Bensalem, PA |

First Offense Retail Theft of under $60. I know will be treated as Summary offense with fine of 100-250. I feel awful pleading Not Guilty in hopes of lessening the punishment when I truly am Guilty. Will the judge frown upon this? I feel like I should just man-up, plead Guilty and pay the fine. I have never been in any trouble or any prior offenses.

Is it true the lawyer will charge around $500? And if so would I still have to pay the fine in addition?

An attorney may be able to have the charged changed or generally help you in court. It wod be a mistake to represent yourself.

I respectfully suggest that now is not the time to be penny wise and pound foolish. Certainly, everyone can appreciate an individual's desire to "man up" and accept personal responsibility. However, a conviction for retail theft can and will have far-reaching consequences that far exceed the few dollars that you will spend discussing your situation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most will provide a brief initial consultation for a nominal or no fee.

Lawyers charge varying rates, but a conviction can have severe consequences including, but not limited to obtaining employment - I suggest consulting with a criminal defense attorney to determine your best option.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

You need to speak with an attorney and explain the evidence the Commonwealth has against you to best decide with your course of action. Attorneys bill different rates, but I can guarantee that you would have to pay a fine in addition to your legal fees if you are convicted.

You need a criminal attorney. Fees may vary