First offense petty larceny charge

Asked about 2 years ago - Norman, OK

I was caught in a local department store doing something stupid in a desperate situation. I was banned from the store and told to set a court date. this is my first offense ever doing anything like this and it is not something that would ever happen again. The amount was not told to me but i believe it was around $200. I do not know how to plea or where to go from here? Is it possible for this to not go on my record? I am in nursing school and have financial aid and this would ruin everything i have worked hard for.

at the time of the offense i was not taken in to jail. i was cited and then released and told to set a court date...im not sure if that is information you need to answer.

1. Scott D Harris

Pro

2

Answered . It may be possible to keep this off of your record through a plea deal since it is a first offense.

In Oklahoma, the charge requires you to go in front of a judge and carries the possibility of jail time. So hiring an attorney is advisable.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

2

Answered . Suggest that you take the "citation" to a local criminal attorney/ From your post it is not clear if the cops ever showed up. In my experience, admittedly in CA, a citation has a court date on it. MAybe in OK the citee has to contact the court for those arrangements, so see a local attorney as to what you actually have.

3. Benjamin J Lieberman

1

Answered . Sounds like you are being charged with a criminal offense. The best advice you can receive here is to get a lawyer to assist you ASAP. S/he can best advise and guide you and be able to negotiate the best possible disposition for you. Dont try to go at this alone.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now