First offense petty larceny charge

Asked about 2 years ago - Norman, OK

I was caught in a local department store doing something stupid in a desperate situation. I was banned from the store and told to set a court date. this is my first offense ever doing anything like this and it is not something that would ever happen again. The amount was not told to me but i believe it was around $200. I do not know how to plea or where to go from here? Is it possible for this to not go on my record? I am in nursing school and have financial aid and this would ruin everything i have worked hard for.

Additional information

at the time of the offense i was not taken in to jail. i was cited and then released and told to set a court not sure if that is information you need to answer.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott D Harris


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It may be possible to keep this off of your record through a plea deal since it is a first offense.

    In Oklahoma, the charge requires you to go in front of a judge and carries the possibility of jail time. So hiring an attorney is advisable.

  2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Suggest that you take the "citation" to a local criminal attorney/ From your post it is not clear if the cops ever showed up. In my experience, admittedly in CA, a citation has a court date on it. MAybe in OK the citee has to contact the court for those arrangements, so see a local attorney as to what you actually have.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more
  3. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sounds like you are being charged with a criminal offense. The best advice you can receive here is to get a lawyer to assist you ASAP. S/he can best advise and guide you and be able to negotiate the best possible disposition for you. Dont try to go at this alone.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now