First offense Dui , no drivers liscense, and caused a collision involving 2 car's on the freeway.

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Basically, my best friend was driving her mother's car and wrecked her mother's car worth(40,000) dollars she was charged with these 3 misdemeanor's above, and she's 26 yrs. of age. The people are injured ,but not life threatening in the accident, Just would like to know what will happen? and how much is this going to be costly?? if this is your first offense?

1. Benjamin C. Durham

9

Answered . If nobody was seriously injured and its a misdemeanor DUI, she can expect at a minimum to attend DUI classes and pay a fine. It also depends on how high her alcohol level was; she may have to do an alcohol abuse assessment and attend additional counseling. There are a lot of different factors to consider. She should consult with an attorney.

2. Ross Carl Goodman

Pro

6

Answered . The previous responses regarding the minimum penalties for a first time DUI are correct. The concern is whether the prosecutors will upgrade the DUI to a felony DUI depending on the extent of the injuries.

3. Ryan Alexander

Pro

5

Answered . At least:
    1. DUI School: lrssystems.com
    2. Victim Impact Panel: http://newbeginningscounselingcenters.com/services
    3. $585 fine

Like Ben mentioned, perhaps an alcohol addiction evaluation (which brings more classes and perhaps counseling).

There might be an additional fine for the 'due care' although often that will be negotiated out with the DUI plea.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.
  4. George Costas Andriotis

6

Answered . Definitely need an attorney as there are a myriad of factors that could affect the outcome. In FL DUI sentencing is driven by Statute with little deviation. Find a local lawyer and yes it'll likely be pricey.

5. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

5

Answered . The other attorney that has commented here didn't say anything about a day or two in jail. I am not familiar with the NV law for DUI but I assume there is at least a day in jail on your first offense if you are over the limit for alcohol? Or maybe you can have it converted to electronic home monitoring on your first offense.
    Pray the injuries to the other people remain minor. Serious injuries to people make these type of case very different then a simple misdemeanor charge of DUI. Consult a local attorney immediately.

Ryan Alexander
    Ryan Alexander, Criminal Defense Attorney - Las Vegas, NV
    Posted over 1 year ago.

Actually here, on a plea they will often waive that requirement - or at most, community service. In my experience the only jail time that is really pushed hard (if ever) is on 2nd or 3rd DUI - and on a second they'll often allow weekend check-ins to the jail.

Patrick Owen Earl
    Patrick Owen Earl, Criminal Defense Attorney - Moses Lake, WA
    Posted over 1 year ago.

I learn something about another state almost daily on this site. Thanks. Have a great day.

Ryan Alexander
    Posted over 1 year ago.

I also learn reading other attorneys' responses, especially in practice areas I'm not as familiar with. One thing that I don't see much - which I think is healthy in any legal discussion - is much disagreement! I remember at the start of 1L our 'section leader' professor brought in several professors to literally argue in front of us (not heated, just open discussion and debate) about issues which they taught. The purpose, which the professor explained to us explicitly, was to see that on a wide variety of issues in the law, even the leading scholars had disagreements big and small. His entire perspective and daily mantra was that the law was actually "foggy, fluid and conflicted."

Patrick Owen Earl
    Posted over 1 year ago.

Have a great day

Thomas D. Boley
    Thomas D. Boley, DUI / DWI Attorney - Las Vegas, NV
    Posted over 1 year ago.

There is a mandatory minimum of 2 days in jail for first offense DUI in Nevada. Generally, if the conditions of release are fulfilled, they are given credit for two days and the case is closed or reduced, even if they only spent the night in jail. If they fail to complete the requirements and a suspended sentence is imposed, they are generally given those two days' credit towards their imposed time.