First offense domestic violence charges

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

I recently had to call the cops for domestic violence charges on my girlfriend. Long story short, while in public, she was screaming quit hitting me, while she was the aggressor. So I made the call to the cops personally, before anyone else could make the call, because I was not about to go to jail for some crazy girl. They arrested her and charged her with domestic violence. Court is coming up soon, and I was wondering what she would be looking at. If i drop the charges, I understand the prosecuter can pick up the charges. What kind of punishment is she looking at?

1. Actually, you can't drop the charges, only the prosecutor can do that. You can tell the prosecutor that you don't want your girlfriend charged, but they frequently ignore the victims when they say this. Politics are involved and the prosecutors do not want to appear to be soft on domestic violence. Assuming your girlfriend did not cause serious injury and did not use a deadly weapon, she should be charged with simple assault, which is a misdemeanor, usually punishable up to 1 year in jail and a $5,000 fine. First time offenders are more likely to have their jail sentences and fines suspended and be placed on probation for a certain number of years. She may be required to take anger management and/or domestic violence classes as well.