Skip to main content

First Offense Class B Misdemeanor (Theft under $500)? Stolen items: 5 shirts (est. amt. $46) 2 pairs of shorts (est. amt. $28)

Tyler, TX |

im 19 yrs old and Im trying to see if i need to plea guilty or innocent for theft class b under $200. This is my first offense ever, and i am beyond scared of what could happen. I did research and i saw a lot of ppl saying that its not good to plea guilty, just get a lawyer.....but what if the victim caught me red handed and has video proof, do i still plea not guilty just so i can have a chance of getting this offense of my record? And if i just go ahead and be honest and plea guilty what do u think will be my punishment, and what are my chances of getting this off my record? What are ALL the possible punishments i can face from this mistake? and do you think i will get any jail time? I would really appreciate a real honest answer. Thank you soo much --SCARED :-(

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to hire a lawyer or if you are indigent, appear in court and request that a lawyer be appointed to represent you. Bring proof that you are a full time student or of your income (such as W2 and pay slip stubs.)

    It does not matter that you were caught. You need to get a lawyer. You need to have the lawyer help you handle the case so that it can possibly be expunged (pretrial diversion) or sealed at worst (with a deferred adjudication probation.)

    The maximum possible sentence is 6 months in jail and a $2,000 fine and being labled a thief for the rest of your life.

  2. Don't Plead Guilty! Hire an attorney because even if there is solid evidence against, if your record is clean a local criminal defense attorney can help negotiate a proper plea. Possibly a pretrial diversion or a deferred adjudication at the least. Either of these options will leave you in a position to avoid severe consequences to your record.

    As Ms. Henley noted, Bobby Mims is a very solid attorney in Tyler; So is Erick Platten. Call either of them and you should be on the right track.

    Good luck

    Although my intent in answering this question is to aid you in the legal process, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship in any way. You should seek the advice and counsel of a qualified attorney in your community to evaluate your legal needs and to advise you. No Attorney-Client Relationship is created without the specific intent of both parties.

  3. I with agree with Ms. Henley and Mr. Soechting. You should avoid pleading guilty to a theft case because it is a crime of moral turpitude despite the evidence of your guilt. Hire a lawyer to help you mitigate the impact of this charge through pretrial diversion or deferred adjudication probation. Call the attorneys Ms. Henley and Mr. Soechting suggest. I know Mr. Platten -- he and I were probation officers in Dallas. Good luck.

    My answer is for informational purposes.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics