First Offense Class B Misdemeanor (Theft under $500)? Stolen items: 5 shirts (est. amt. $46) 2 pairs of shorts (est. amt. $28)

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tyler, TX

im 19 yrs old and Im trying to see if i need to plea guilty or innocent for theft class b under $200. This is my first offense ever, and i am beyond scared of what could happen. I did research and i saw a lot of ppl saying that its not good to plea guilty, just get a lawyer.....but what if the victim caught me red handed and has video proof, do i still plea not guilty just so i can have a chance of getting this offense of my record? And if i just go ahead and be honest and plea guilty what do u think will be my punishment, and what are my chances of getting this off my record? What are ALL the possible punishments i can face from this mistake? and do you think i will get any jail time? I would really appreciate a real honest answer. Thank you soo much --SCARED :-(

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . You need to hire a lawyer or if you are indigent, appear in court and request that a lawyer be appointed to represent you. Bring proof that you are a full time student or of your income (such as W2 and pay slip stubs.)

It does not matter that you were caught. You need to get a lawyer. You need to have the lawyer help you handle the case so that it can possibly be expunged (pretrial diversion) or sealed at worst (with a deferred adjudication probation.)

The maximum possible sentence is 6 months in jail and a $2,000 fine and being labled a thief for the rest of your life.

2. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . Don't Plead Guilty! Hire an attorney because even if there is solid evidence against, if your record is clean a local criminal defense attorney can help negotiate a proper plea. Possibly a pretrial diversion or a deferred adjudication at the least. Either of these options will leave you in a position to avoid severe consequences to your record.

As Ms. Henley noted, Bobby Mims is a very solid attorney in Tyler; So is Erick Platten. Call either of them and you should be on the right track.

Good luck

3. M. Irene Wilson

Pro

Answered . I with agree with Ms. Henley and Mr. Soechting. You should avoid pleading guilty to a theft case because it is a crime of moral turpitude despite the evidence of your guilt. Hire a lawyer to help you mitigate the impact of this charge through pretrial diversion or deferred adjudication probation. Call the attorneys Ms. Henley and Mr. Soechting suggest. I know Mr. Platten -- he and I were probation officers in Dallas. Good luck.

My answer is for informational purposes.