First offense, is negligent driving 1st degree the best deal?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bellingham, WA

I was pulled over for having a tail light out on my vehicle, which we checked after we got the car out of impound all lights worked. Push comet to show i was give the option while pregnant of either going to the hospital to get a blood test done for DUI or to jail. I took the hospital route. Even though I was not high at the time of the incident and had not been partaking since that morning so i could eat from morning sickness. When the test came back with a .8.9. I am pleading not guilty because I'm not. The plea they are giving me is negligent driving in the 1st degree with fines and finish the treatment program i am already in. Is this the most reasonable plea deal I can get?

1. Lee Grochmal

Pro

4

1

Answered . Without looking at the police reports in your case, it is impossible to say whether Neg 1 is the best offer you can get on your case. It is important to analyze all of the strengths and weaknesses of your case to determine what would be a good result for you. Generally, a Neg 1 is a pretty good deal when you are charged with DUI, but it still counts as a prior if you get another DUI (you would then be looking at 2nd offense penalties) and it sounds like you would still be required to do probation. You should discuss these issues with your attorney to decide what is the best result for you.

2. Lance Rodman Fryrear

Pro

1

Answered . It is unclear if your test results are for alcohol or for a drug like marijuana. If the test results were for alcohol, then usually a Neg 1 offer is a good result. Again, it depends on the facts of your case. If the test results were for nanograms of THC, then you may want to look into getting a better offer. Consult your attorney. It sounds like your situation is manageable and keep up the treatment.

3. Jonathan Burton Blecher

Pro

1

Answered . Neg 1 is a pretty good disposition, in most situations. Remember, it is looked at as a prior if you pick up another DUI. You can roll the dice and hope the jury finds you NG. Talk to your attorney.