First DWI with BAC 0.16<

Asked about 3 years ago - Colleyville, TX

Hello,
I was arrested for first DWI and my cases is still pending. I have to visit my home country in few weeks, so will i have any problem going out or entering US. I am on h1-b.
Thanks a lot for help

1. Richard Timothy Jones

1

Answered . You should contact a lawyer experienced in immigration and criminal law. If you have not been convicted, you probably won't have a problem. You can contact the State Bar of Texas for a referral in your area. Definitely do this before leaving the country.

2. Cameron Gray

1

Answered . Have you checked with the bonding company that posted your bond? It is possible that under the terms of your bond you are not permitted to leave the country while your case is pending.

3. Linda Medeiros Callahan

Pro

2

Answered . You should re-post this in the "immigration" section. I am not an immigration attorney so this is only a guess--I think that if your case is still pending you should be OK--UNLESS there is a warrant. If there is a warrant, my understanding is that Homeland Security will take you into custody at customs upon your arrival.

4. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

DUI charges can effect your status in the US and you ability to be admitted at a port of entry. Also, if you have a pending case, you are more than likely restricted on you ability to travel. Most jurisdictions have specific restrictions as to notice to appear of whatever notice document you were provided. Since the Padilla v. Kentucky USSC concerns you need to work with a Texas criminal attorney and a immigration attorney who can advise as to what the immigration implication will be. Criminal adjudication such as no contents or diversion may still be considered a conviction for immigration law.