Skip to main content

First car accident ever- what should I do?

Dallas, TX |

I was in a serious car accident with fatalities and injuries. I was very fortunate to survive. I do not remember what happened, but witnesses say that I was not at fault. It has been several days since the accident and I just sent in my voluntary statement to the police, along with accident exchange information. I have not contacted my insurance company or talked to a lawyer yet. What should be my next step?

Attorney Answers 18

  1. Report the claim to your insurance company AND immediately consult a local personal injury attorney.

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  2. Talk to a lawyer and contact your insurance company; in that order

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  3. Before you talk to anyone else or agree to give any more statements or sign any forms, you need to talk to a lawyer. Your failure to do so could very well result in you throwing away some valuable legal rights.

    To research your situation, go to this section of our website:

    If you have any questions after researching your case above, let us know and any of our Board Certified attorneys will be glad to answer your questions.

  4. First of all, although you mentioned "injuries", you did not mention whether or not your were injured. If you were injured, you should commence medical treatment right away. Next, you need to contact your insurance carrier immediately as your contact is a requirement of your insurance policy. Witnesses have indicated that you were not at fault, but you did not indicate what you thought o what you put into your voluntary statement to the police. You should contact a Dallas personal injury attorney right away. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation.Do not give a statement to any other insurance carrier than your own. Best of luck.

    Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  5. Notify your insurance and call a personal injury attorney regarding any injuries you have.

    All information provided here is for educational use only and does not constitute legal advice nor establish any attorney-client relationship. Paul H. Cannon is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas. Laws vary from State-to-State. For legal advice and opinions, please retain the services of a lawyer licensed to practice in the appropriate state or jurisdiction.

  6. Retain a board certified personal injury lawyer ASAP. Texas only requires $30,000 per person and $60,000 per occurrence on an auto liability policy. When liability is clear, claims are paid on a "first come, first served" basis. Do not delay.

    John Zgourides
    (713) 876-7001

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  7. I'm sorry for what you've been through. There will be lots of questions along the way, and failure to take the right steps could hurt you in the long run.

    Contact a reputable attorney in the Dallas area as soon as possible. We'd be happy to help and happy to talk to you today. I'd definitely call a lawyer before calling my insurance company.

    Tim O'Hare

  8. Hire an attorney. You want to have an attorney investigate the facts as soon as possible. Becaues you don't remember what happened, it is vital that an attorney with investigators piece together what happened as soon as possible so evidence is not lost and witnesses do not disappear or forget.

    This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and this reply is intended for a general audience and facts particular to your case may affect the answer. Consult with an attorney in person for specific answers to your questions.

  9. You should contact a lawyer who handles serious auto injury cases as soon as possible. They will be able to help you navigate the insurance process and legal process, if it comes to that.

  10. Hire an attorney. You have already done too much on your own. You might have hurt your case, so don't delay any longer and get some top notch advice.

  11. The number of things you need to do is extensive. However, the most important thing is that you do not provide any further statements to anyone. Most interviews or investigations by the insurance companies are designed to deny coverage and blame you for the accident. You need to get in contact with a personal injury lawyer immediately to know your rights and protect you from allegations of fault. Second, you want to make sure that you are continuing to follow up with your medical providers. If the hospital tells you to follow up with your primary care provider you need to do it. If you don't the insurance companies will allege you are that hurt because if you were you would go to a doctor. That being said, once you retain a lawyer the insurance companies and everyone else will not be allowed to talk to you. If you have any questions or just want to know your rights please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck to you.

    Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.

  12. Don't make any statements. Retain a top-rated Avvo personal injury lawyer. Good luck.

  13. You should hire an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Let the attorney deal with all the insurance and legal matters while you get your life back on track. I provide free consultations and home visits, if necessary. I can be reached anytime days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.

    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law
    (214) 321-8225

  14. Contact a reputable personal injury lawyer immediately! Do not speak with any investigators or insurance adjusters. Only speak with a lawyer at this point. I would suggest you get some emotional counseling as well. I am sorry you are going through such a difficult experience.

    Brian Breiter, Esq.

  15. #1 Hire one of the fine personal injury lawyers in your state that have posted here.
    #2 Get well, and let your attorney handle the rest.

    Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160

  16. Immediately contact an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. I would not provide any information to an insurance company until you have consulted with an attorney. Please do not give any insurance company or any of its representatives any type of statement about the wreck. If possible, continue to follow your doctor's orders and care for your injuries. We are here is you need to consult.

    By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.

  17. You should speak to an attorney who is experienced in personal injury cases before you do anything else. You will need to provide the attorney with enough information where they can obtain a copy of the accident report. If you know of any witnesses, make sure you keep that information. You also will want to contact your own auto insurance company but speaking to a personal injury attorney should probably occur first.

    You'll also want to provide a copy of the statement that you sent to the police to the attorney you choose to consult with. Most personal injury attorneys provide free initial consultations on many matters. Given the severity of the accident consulting with an attorney as soon as possible should be your first step.

    This answer is intended to be general in nature and not specific as to any person or fact situation. No attorney-client relationship exists for those reading this answer and readers should contact an attorney of their choosing for legal advice.

  18. You should schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer before making any more statements to police, your insurance company, or the at-fault carrier.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics