First car accident ever- what should I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I was in a serious car accident with fatalities and injuries. I was very fortunate to survive. I do not remember what happened, but witnesses say that I was not at fault. It has been several days since the accident and I just sent in my voluntary statement to the police, along with accident exchange information. I have not contacted my insurance company or talked to a lawyer yet. What should be my next step?

1. Paul Hilmon Cannon

14

Answered . Notify your insurance and call a personal injury attorney regarding any injuries you have.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

15

Answered . Talk to a lawyer and contact your insurance company; in that order

3. Vuk Vujasinovic

Pro

13

Answered . Before you talk to anyone else or agree to give any more statements or sign any forms, you need to talk to a lawyer. Your failure to do so could very well result in you throwing away some valuable legal rights.

To research your situation, go to this section of our website:

http://www.vbattorneys.com/practice_areas/houst...

If you have any questions after researching your case above, let us know and any of our Board Certified attorneys will be glad to answer your questions.

4. Gene Raymond Beaty

13

Answered . Hire an attorney. You have already done too much on your own. You might have hurt your case, so don't delay any longer and get some top notch advice.

5. Sean Michael Cichowski

12

Answered . You should contact a lawyer who handles serious auto injury cases as soon as possible. They will be able to help you navigate the insurance process and legal process, if it comes to that.

6. John Gus Zgourides

11

Answered . Retain a board certified personal injury lawyer ASAP. Texas only requires $30,000 per person and $60,000 per occurrence on an auto liability policy. When liability is clear, claims are paid on a "first come, first served" basis. Do not delay.

John Zgourides
    (713) 876-7001
    www.zgourides.com

7. Brian Heath Crockett

Pro

11

Answered . The number of things you need to do is extensive. However, the most important thing is that you do not provide any further statements to anyone. Most interviews or investigations by the insurance companies are designed to deny coverage and blame you for the accident. You need to get in contact with a personal injury lawyer immediately to know your rights and protect you from allegations of fault. Second, you want to make sure that you are continuing to follow up with your medical providers. If the hospital tells you to follow up with your primary care provider you need to do it. If you don't the insurance companies will allege you are that hurt because if you were you would go to a doctor. That being said, once you retain a lawyer the insurance companies and everyone else will not be allowed to talk to you. If you have any questions or just want to know your rights please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck to you.

8. Michael R Crosner

12

Answered . Report the claim to your insurance company AND immediately consult a local personal injury attorney.

9. Richard H. Wooster

12

Answered . Hire an attorney. You want to have an attorney investigate the facts as soon as possible. Becaues you don't remember what happened, it is vital that an attorney with investigators piece together what happened as soon as possible so evidence is not lost and witnesses do not disappear or forget.

10. Timothy J. O'Hare

10

Answered . I'm sorry for what you've been through. There will be lots of questions along the way, and failure to take the right steps could hurt you in the long run.

Contact a reputable attorney in the Dallas area as soon as possible. We'd be happy to help and happy to talk to you today. I'd definitely call a lawyer before calling my insurance company.

Tim O'Hare
    www.oharelawfirm.com

11. Albert Lee Crosner

11

Answered . First of all, although you mentioned "injuries", you did not mention whether or not your were injured. If you were injured, you should commence medical treatment right away. Next, you need to contact your insurance carrier immediately as your contact is a requirement of your insurance policy. Witnesses have indicated that you were not at fault, but you did not indicate what you thought o what you put into your voluntary statement to the police. You should contact a Dallas personal injury attorney right away. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation.Do not give a statement to any other insurance carrier than your own. Best of luck.

Pro

11

Answered . Don't make any statements. Retain a top-rated Avvo personal injury lawyer. Good luck.

13. Robert C. Slim

7

Answered . You should hire an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Let the attorney deal with all the insurance and legal matters while you get your life back on track. I provide free consultations and home visits, if necessary. I can be reached anytime days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.

Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law
    (214) 321-8225

14. Stacy E Pepper

Pro

8

Answered . #1 Hire one of the fine personal injury lawyers in your state that have posted here.
    #2 Get well, and let your attorney handle the rest.

15. Brian James Breiter

7

Answered . Contact a reputable personal injury lawyer immediately! Do not speak with any investigators or insurance adjusters. Only speak with a lawyer at this point. I would suggest you get some emotional counseling as well. I am sorry you are going through such a difficult experience.

Brian Breiter, Esq.

16. Daryl L. Derryberry

5

Answered . Immediately contact an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. I would not provide any information to an insurance company until you have consulted with an attorney. Please do not give any insurance company or any of its representatives any type of statement about the wreck. If possible, continue to follow your doctor's orders and care for your injuries. We are here is you need to consult. www.urhurt.com

17. Gregory S. Baumgartner

Pro

4

Answered . You should speak to an attorney who is experienced in personal injury cases before you do anything else. You will need to provide the attorney with enough information where they can obtain a copy of the accident report. If you know of any witnesses, make sure you keep that information. You also will want to contact your own auto insurance company but speaking to a personal injury attorney should probably occur first.

You'll also want to provide a copy of the statement that you sent to the police to the attorney you choose to consult with. Most personal injury attorneys provide free initial consultations on many matters. Given the severity of the accident consulting with an attorney as soon as possible should be your first step.

18. Justin Drew Mcminn

Pro

3

Answered . You should schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer before making any more statements to police, your insurance company, or the at-fault carrier.